Saturday, February 24, 2007

THEA workshop

So today, I got the privilege to attend an all day workshop of art. I went to a THEA workshop, for winning 1st in the junior division. I was so blessed to be able to go to it, it inspired me so much. It even go time thinking on some things about m future. Ive always said that i want to be an art therapist. Even though I love the idea of doing that, I really don't know after today. There was a guy that talked to us, he was talking about how he didn't have a very supportive family, and all his brothers went to med school, so he got scarred into a more mainstream side of art, which happened to be commercial art. He said he felt like "an animal in a cage" because he was so confined to this cubicle and desk and a time clock. He had to limit his expression and imagination to the things people wanted him to do and make, until he decided he had to make something else of himself, he couldn't be confined any longer. So he said he got out and started busing tables, then found an art studio where he started painting. He eventually found a job at a local art school. He talked about how before he used little bitty movements with his wrists, it was all tiny details right in front of him, but the paintings he could do now he felt free, he moved in full movements, used all of his brain. No limits. He was free. Now he is doing giant sculptures for hospitals, he actually sculpted "The Nine" in front of Central High. His work is amazing! All because he had the guts to step out and do it..follow what he loved no matter who objected. The studio we were in just felt "it"..like I was home there, like I could see my self coming there every day and working. I don't want to be confined. I want to wear those long flowy skirts, sandals and walk in and say "lets do some serious art today, or lets create something magnificent!" I don't want to be confined to my "limited" imagination.I don't see my self in a business suit, I wnat to be vintage, stylish, and "artsy" haha..Like one of the instructors said, "we are Right brained people, and we are different from everyone else." I want to show that, not hide it. The arts are beautiful, and it's everything to me. I don't know if I can see my self sitting in a room and saying "how do you feel about that" I just can't see it. I don't want to be a starving artist either..so I just don't know. But everything isn't about money..God will provide.

But I can't wait until I get to go to a studio like that and dig in! Just dig into painting and sculpting with plaster and clay and metal...giant acrylic paintings...I can't wait!! I want to get my hands dirty..I'm sick of using little details...tiny movements...I'm ready for the extreme!

Kayleigh

No comments:

Blog Archive

All about Me! :)